Bishop Maurice Schexnayder, installed in 1956, headed the Diocese of Lafayette next. He was a native of Wallace, La., ordained in 1925 in the Archdiocese of New Orleans. A former chaplain of the LSU Catholic Student Center in Baton Rouge, he came to Lafayette from St. Francis de Sales Parish, Houma, where he had been pastor and dean. He was auxiliary bishop to Bishop Jeanmard for five years until Bishop Jeanmard retired in 1956.
The years under Bishop Schexnayder were a time of growth. During this time, Bishop Schexnayder established church parishes, ordained a large number of native vocations, and established diocesan offices for family life and Catholic social services. He attended the Second Vatican Council and issued pastoral letters implementing its decrees.
A long range building program included Consolata (a diocesan home for the aged), a new building at Immaculata Seminary, and the Diocesan chancery building.
Bishop Schexnayder also encouraged lay participation through the establishment of parish councils, school boards and other lay advisory groups. He also stressed the right of all to religious instruction, issuing pastoral letters which warned against neglect or interference in this area.
The sinister impalement bears by custom in prelatical heraldry the personal arms of the Ordinary of the Diocese. Our Lady's colors, blue and white, are predominant on the shield, since the field and the pale (vertical bar) display these tinctures. Wavy lines in heraldry indicate water and the wavy pale is the heraldi
c equivalent of the Mississippi River which flows through Louisiana, the birthplace of the Bishop, and the scene of his priestly labors.